In addition to ongoing technical assistance, the Hudson River Valley Greenway offers a variety of funding opportunities for municipalities and partner organizations. General Guidelines:
- All Grant programs are competitive. Applications are evaluated based on how well they advance the Greenway Criteria.
- Amount of grant award contingent on funding availability.
- Applicants will be allowed a conference period with Greenway staff up until the grant deadline. This period will allow applicants to ask staff for feedback and input on the grant application.
- All materials must be submitted by grant deadline for the grant to be considered complete. This includes the following: completed application; resolution in support of grant application; budget; project description; letters of support or participation from co-applicants
- Grants work on a reimbursement basis, therefore the municipality or organization must pay the cost up front and then submit vouchers to the Greenway to be reimbursement. Documented expenses must be attached to the appropriate voucher.
- Greenway Grants are awarded for no more than 50% of the total project cost (for example, a $10,000 project would will be awarded no more than $5,000).
- Local match may be provided as in-kind services or other non-monetary contribution
- Mileage is not reimbursable but may be used for “local match”
- A work program for each phase of funding, with projected costs and an estimated timeline for completion, must be submitted and approved by the Greenway Council Board prior to the awarding of any grant funding
- If a project involves the development of a plan or similar product, final disbursement of funding will not be made until the plan is completed in final form and adopted by the governing body of the relevant municipality.
- Intermunicipal collaboration projects (those that involve two or more municipalities) will rate higher than single-community projects.
- Greenway financial contribution must be acknowledged and logo displayed on all work products.
- A resolution is required from the municipality in which the project is located.
- Applicants must complete or rescind previously awarded projects before being eligible to receive additional funding from the same grant program.
Hardcopy versions of Greenway Grants are available by emailing the Hudson River Valley Greenway Office. (Adobe Acrobat Reader required for pdf files- To download the reader, go to http://www.adobe.com/
- Financial assistance (approximately $5,000-$10,000) to designated “Greenway Communities” within the Greenway Area. Projects funded under this program include those that relate to community planning, economic development, natural resource protection, cultural resource protection, scenic resource protection, and open space protection. Applications must be postmarked or emailed by 5:00 PM: August 29, 2014; December 5, 2014; February 6, 2015; May 8, 2015; September 11, 2015.
- Funding for municipalities that develop, approve, and implement a regional compact strategy consistent with the Greenway criteria and the Greenway act. Applications must be postmarked or emailed by 5:00 PM: August 29, 2014; December 5, 2014; February 6, 2015; May 8, 2015; September 11, 2015.
- Funding for trail planning, trail constructing and amenities, and trail educational and interpretive projects within the 14 county HRV Greenway Area. Typically, grants are between $1,000 and $15,000. Higher amounts are awarded for intermunicipal or regional projects. Applications must be postmarked or emailed to our office by 5:00 PM, Friday, September 5, 2014. Please refer to the Conservancy Grant Program page for more information.